North of Syracuse suburbs
A quick drive north from Downtown Syracuse is where you'll find yourself in the vast suburbs of Cicero, Liverpool, Mattydale, Lyncourt or North Syracuse. And, with plenty of parks, greenspaces, restaurants, and bars visitors and locals a like will easily find fun ways to spend their time.
Liverpool borders the historic Onondaga Lake which invites visitors to bike, roll, stroll or run over 8 miles of trails. Mattydale and North Syracuse are home to Syracuse Hancock International Airport, and Lyncourt is a lovely hamlet in the Town of Salina, home to some of the most-loved traditional bakeries in Central New York.
Best breakfasts + brunch spots
- Any local will tell you that the best spot to grab New York City style bagels is at Bruegger's Bagels. Pop in for a fresh cup of coffee and a delectable menu of fresh, warm bagels at the local franchise in North Syracuse.
- Visit Julie's Cafe for massive plates of good old American diner fare. Often packed with hungry customers, this local hot spot is worth the brief wait .
Best afternoon eats
- Cozy up to a hot bowl of scrumptious bone broth, or replenish with a tasty greens or ancient grains bowl from CoreLife Eatery in North Syracuse. A favorite lunch spot, this growing cafeteria-style restaurant serves up made-to-order clean, healthy and great tasting foods that are free of GMO’s, trans fats, artificial colors, sweeteners and other artificial additives.
- If you're north of the city, it's a must to swing by Heid's. Truly a right of passage, this famous hot dog stand, as seen on Man vs. Food, grills up fresh Hofmann franks and coneys with a side of old fashioned Americana roadside vibes.
Best place for bites + beverages
- Hot House Brewing at Barone Gardens in Cicero is a fantastic farm brewery where guests can sample flights, pints or cans of their craft brews and sit down to enjoy flavorful bistro fare among their fern-filled greenhouse.
- Check out The Clam Bar in North Syracuse if you're craving fresh, fried seafood platters and a casual and relaxed local bar outside of the city.
- Ice cold beer and loaded burgers, anyone? Zebb's Deluxe Grill & Bar is a great family-friendly local bar & grill chain serving steaks, gourmet burgers, wings, beer and wine, all in a fun and retro setting.
Best place for pizza + pints
- A local fave, Toss & Fire is the ideal spot for specialty wood-fired pizza, including the iconic best seller 'Cuse Salt Potato Pizza (one of our iconic Syracuse foods that combines the famous Syracuse salt potato and everyone's favorite food — pizza). Pair it with a variety of New York State beers, fried pickles and poutine, your taste buds will thank you.
- Saddle up to the bar at Cobblestone Ale House in Liverpool for a wide selection of draft beers and craft brews. Catch the game in their casual atmosphere and enjoy hot pizza and wings with friends.
- Check out Pies Guys Pizzeria in the north area of Syracuse for hot pizza and delicious wings to go. Their sister location in the Skunk City neighborhood of Syracuse also offers up one of the best compliments to some fresh pizza — beer!
- Another highly-rated pizza joint in the North Syracuse area, Utica Pizza Company has fresh slices, whole pies and mouth-watering sandwiches for you to grab on the go.
Best supper spots
- Finger-lickin' BBQ galore at Limp Lizard Bar & Grill — this roadhouse in Liverpool offers up platters of tasty meats seasoned and slow-cooked in their wood-fired pits. Grab a beer and fill up on a platter of fall-off-the-bone ribs and choose from a variety of sides to compliment your main course. Looking for BBQ but make it fast? Check out Limp Lizard's Roadside Cantina in North Syracuse too for the same great food to-go.
- The ultimate in kid-friendly restaurants in the Syracuse area, Tully's is an affordable and entertaining place to bring the kids and enjoy a pint while sampling their famous Tully's tenders and loading up on the never-ending popcorn. This sports-themed local chain boasts more than 70 TV's showing all the sports, and a game room with lots of video and billiard games.
- A warm, family-run bistro serving Italian-American cuisine with a sustainable focus, Grotto hosts an intimate, farm-to-table dining experience for all ages to enjoy. Savor delicious wines and beer to compliment your entrees and give the Utica Greens a try, as they're rated some of the best in the city.
Best late night lounges
- The MW Bar & Grill at the Holiday Inn & Suites Syracuse/Hancock Airport in Liverpool offers a modern dining room & well stocked bar, with a full menu consisting of upscale comfort foods featuring local ingredients. Swing by to enjoy live music on the weekends or score seats on their outdoor patio area in the warmer months.
- Vicino's Brick & Brew in Cicero is a fantastic family-owned restaurant where guests can sample some brick-oven pizzas, fresh draft beers and the local music scene.
- Bridal shops galore in the northern suburbs of Syracuse. Peruse an exquisite selection of gowns and accessories at New York Bride & Co. in North Syracuse.
- Visit Calico Gals in the Lyncourt neighborhood to find all of your sewing and quilting supplies for all you stitchers out there.
- Swing by Vince's Gourmet Imports in North Syracuse to pick up premade Italian dishes and sandwiches, imported meats, macaroni, sauces and more.
- If you're in the mood for some of the most delicious pastries, cookies, baklava, bread and tomato pie in the greater Syracuse area, stop into Geddes Bakery & Pastry Shop for the ultimate carb load.
Scope out North Syracuse Consignment if you're looking for something specific and gently used. Clothing, jewelry, accessories and more, this is a hidden gem in the center of North Syracuse.
Best sports shops
Looking to hit the bike trails and new a tune or just searching for some new gear? Pedal over to Bike Loft for a personalized shopping and service experience where you can get everything you need from clothing to parts, accessories and service to prep for your next ride.
Best way to get outdoors
- There are dozens of open-air gems waiting to be explored just north of Syracuse. A favorite of visitors' and locals' is Onondaga Lake Park in Liverpool, just a short drive from the city limits. This 7.5 mile linear greenway is dubbed the "The Central Park of Central New York," and offers several shoreline trails along the majestic Onondaga Lake, playgrounds, a skate park, and many more acres loaded with outside fun.
- Long Branch Park is a picturesque green space located on the western shore of Onondaga Lake. Offering sheltered areas, walking trails, a ball field, 100-ft. sledding hill, this lovely lakeside park also features many annual events such as the Central New York Scottish Games & Celtic Festival every August.
- Just north of Baldwinsville, northwest of the city of Syracuse, lies Three Rivers Wildlife Management Area. This expansive wildlife management area offers hiking trails through woods & marshes, as well as hunting and fishing.
Best places for family fun
- Located within Onondaga Lake Park, The Salt Museum is a fantastic place where the entire family can discover the industry that created the City of Syracuse and supplied the entire nation with salt. Venture through the historic building and find dynamic exhibits, artifacts, visitor information center, gift shop and an original salt boiling block.
- Situated at the southern end of Onondaga Lake Park, the Griffin Visitor Center and surrounding area has it all when it comes to family fun — shuffle board, Bocce ball and volleyball courts, playgrounds, bike and skating equipment rental shop, ball fields and more.
Best places for a pint
- Hands down one of the best places to grab a beer north of the city of Syracuse, Bull & Bear Roadhouse in Liverpool also offers some of the tastiest (and biggest) nachos in town, massive burgers and enough apps to keep you nourished throughout the night.
- Are you ready for some football? And some of the best wings in Syracuse? Check out Change of Pace just north of Downtown Syracuse and come hungry — this place is loaded with a full pub menu and football fans, not to mention some of the city's top-rated Buffalo and hot wings to pair with your favorite draft beers.
Trubliss Wellness Spa in Cicero is your ultimate escape. Enjoy their relaxing atmosphere while indulging in holistic and medical services for all of your health and beauty needs. Relax and rejuvenate with one of their highly-rated skin treatments, laser services, peels, massages or full body treatment.