A lively business and commercial neighborhood in Downtown Syracuse, Armory Square once began as a busy industrial area which is now home to a flourishing shopping, entertainment and nightlife district surrounding the city's former Syracuse Armory. A major hub of Downtown life, Armory Square hosts dozens of favorite restaurants, bars, coffee houses, boutiques and nightclubs. Check out the Shot Clock Monument as you make your way through this charming neighborhood, and connect to many other Downtown areas via the multi-use Onondaga Creekwalk.
Best breakfasts + brunch spots
- In the mood for some Fruity Pebbles French Toast or chicken and waffles? Try out the yummy breakfast menu at Modern Malt in Armory Square. This joint has all the tasty American brunch options, with a fun and modern twist.
- Home of all the ultimate waffles, Funk 'n Waffles has more fluffy, warm waffles to choose from than Belgium itself. Whether you're going for the classic strawberries and whipped cream or the unexpected and savory Jive Turkey or Falafel Waffle, this funky waffle house serves them up all day, with live music, signature cocktails and adult milkshakes for the late night crew.
Best afternoon eats
- Grab a sandwich to go and a loaf of the most delicious bread for later at Pasta's Daily Bread.
- Eat your sushi-loving heart out at Sakana-Ya, where diners can fill up on all kinds of sashimi, sushi and specialty rolls during their rotating all-you-can-eat and half-priced sushi days.
- Dreaming of Mediterranean Halal food? Stop in to Pita Dream for massive gyro, falafel, chicken, lamb and beef platters that taste just as good as they look. And if you're looking for something to grab and go, try out one of their awesome pitas (we recommend the Dream Monster).
Best place for bites + beverages
- Hot or cold outside, you can cool down or warm up with a cup of coffee at the much loved Freedom of Espresso in Armory Square.
- Love video games? Love food and drinks? Three Lives Bar covers all three. Get your nostalgia fix while challenging your friends on one of their many old-school arcade machines, fuel up with an order of Super SMASH Fries, Wario Sliders or Super Nintendies, and wash it down with one of their custom elixirs like the Quantam Cola or Mutant Manhattan.
- Sample authentic Mexican cuisine and fresh margaritas at the new Margaritas Mexican Cantina in the heart of Armory Square.
Best place for pizza + pints
- If you're anywhere near Armory Square when that pizza craving hits, hit up Nick's Tomato Pie for XL pizzas, subs and pasta.
- Charlee's Pizzeria hits the spot when it comes to grabbing a slice, or whatever else you might be craving. Try one of their gourmet pizzas and grab an order of their Steak & Cheese Sliders. And if you really want to stretch those pants, add on an app of their Chicken and Waffles or Bacon-Wrapped Figs.
Best supper spots
- An upscale Thai restaurant with open air seating available and an acclaimed wine list, Lemon Grass & Bistro Elephant Steakhouse is a favorite for a date night dinner Downtown. Enjoy Pacific Rim Thai food such as fresh spring rolls, curries, Pad Thai and much more.
- World famous Pastabilities is where everyone goes for the freshest pasta and of course the spicy hot tomato oil paired with their fresh baked bread. Get there early to indulge as there's usually a wait, but trust us, it's well worth it.
- Savor the flavors at Citronelle, a New American restaurant and bar drawing influences from France, Spain, Greece, and Italy. Featuring a gorgeous interior naturally lit from its beautiful atrium, guests can enjoy a sophisticated dining experience under the Syracuse stars.
Best late night lounges
- Irish or not, Kitty Hoynes is a famous pub and restaurant featuring plenty of cold draft beers and a fresh, Irish-inspired menu. Grab a late-night bite and stick around for live traditional Irish and acoustic music every week.
- Sit back and relax at The York — a chic eatery, lounge and cocktail bar in Armory Square. Sample some of the best oysters around and complete your night with New American dishes and craft cocktails.
- Keep your late night food cravings in check at Kasai Ramen, where Hakata-inspired Japanese ramen and fare reign supreme.
- Hard to find sneakers and designer clothing, Ambition Upstate carries exclusive local brands as well as Supreme, Bape and FOG. They also specialize in restoring and accessorizing rare Jays, Adidas, Reebok, Nike & more.
- Discover the funky, fun selections at Midnight Sun, Armory Square's eclectic storefront for women's clothing, gems and stone, home goods, jewelry and much more.
- Open seven days a week, Vagabond Clothing is an exceptional store for trendy selections, bold prints, colorful patterns, and one-of-a-kind pieces at exceptional prices.
- An upscale menswear store offering fitted denim, sport coats, custom suits and more, Mr. Shop is a conveniently located menswear store and also offers tailoring services for men.
Everyone knows you go to the Sound Garden for all the best vintage rock and roll records, vinyl, DVDs and everything else under the sun to give you those old school record store feels.
Best way to get outdoors
Armory Square is a walkable district, inviting visitors and locals to explore the area by foot or by bike. Connect to the Onondaga Creekwalk in Armory Square, or simply peruse the neighborhood with family and friends, checking out all the local shops and eateries along the way.
Best places for family fun
Both kids and parents love everything there is to discover at the Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science and Technology, better known as The MOST. Explore the hands-on educational exhibits, planetarium shows and lively science demonstrations. The MOST is also home to the Bristol Omnitheater, the only IMAX Dome theater in Upstate New York.
Best places for a pint
- Armory Square is loaded with some of the city's most popular bars and lounges. Grab a couple cold ones with a side of hot poutine at The Hops Spot, a much loved burger bar and poutinerie with an impressive craft beer bottle and draft list.
- The Limerick Pub is a spacious Irish pub in the heart of Armory Square on Walton Street. A fun gathering place for friends, this bar is known for their great beer selection and good service.
- Check out Syracuse Suds Factory for one of Downtown's most spacious and older breweries, conveniently located at the corner of Walton and Clinton Streets.
Best evening entertainment
- A favorite of the late night crowd, Awful Al's Wine & Whiskey Lounge is a clubby hangout with cool vibes offering gourmet pub grub & cocktails, plus live music. Take a peak at their impressive library shelf of liquor behind the bar too.
- Wunderbar is Syracuse's ultimate Queer Bar & Theatre, mixing art, music, dance, gallery, nightclub and whatever else suits your fancy. Whether you're looking for concerts, plays, movies, singles nights, karaoke, burlesque, drag, cabaret, open mic nights...you name it, Wunderbar has it. Check out their site for upcoming events and mark your calendar for all kinds of fun.
- End the night with a visit to the Clinton Street Pub, a laid-back sports bar touting nachos, burgers, pub fare, video games & darts.
- Enjoy champagne and cocktails in a chic bar setting at Benjamin's on Franklin. This dance club also boasts a spacious, enclosed courtyard.