West of Syracuse Suburbs
Just west of the city of Syracuse are the suburbs of Camillus, Fairmount and Lakeland, which boasts the top-rated, open air St. Joseph's Lakeview Amphitheater, where visitors can enjoy live music from their favorite national touring artists all summer long. Hundreds of thousands of visitors also flock to the west side of Syracuse in the late summer to discover the best our state has to offer at The Great New York State Fair. Pedal or walk your way around the western shoreline of Syracuse's Onondaga Lake, or explore the diverse cuisine and shopping centers of Fairmount and Camillus.
Best breakfasts + brunch spots
- Meet up with friends at Nestico's Too, a classic diner serving up feel-good American classics in the Camillus/Fairmount area.
- Stop into Rise and Grind Cafe for their innovative brunch menu and some of the freshest coffee west of the city of Syracuse. A locally-owned business, this spot is known for their superb service and some of the best lattes in town.
- On the hunt to start your day with some comfort food? Check out Second Chance Diner for their unique and traditional breakfast menus, fresh ingredients and everything else in between made to satisfy your savory and sweet cravings.
Best afternoon eats
- A local fave, Freedom of Espresso's Camillus location offers up delicious drinks, tasty treats, and impeccable service all in a quaint and charming atmosphere.
- Traditional Greek food, need we say more? Kiki’s Authentic Greek Food is located off of Main street in Camillus, NY. All food is prepared in-house, from scratch, using fresh ingredients daily and portions are plentiful you just might have leftovers for dinner.
Best place for bites + beverages
Dine at The Brasserie for a menu chocked full of European flair with a local flavor. Whether you're looking for a premier Bloody Mary bar to compliment your brunch faves, an express lunch to go, or a signature cocktail to pair with your main dinner entree, this is the place where you can find it all.
Best place for pizza + pints
The Wildcat Pizza Pub is a fantastic spot to grab all kinds of pub fare and of course, pizza. Grab a pint, watch the game and chow down at this favorite neighborhood hot spot.
Best supper spots
- Enjoy savory hibachi meals, sushi rolls and tasty Japanese cuisine at Mitsuba, a contemporary and spacious restaurant with a lively atmosphere in Fairmount.
- Bring the whole family to local favorite Tully's Good Times restaurant in Fairmount. Mom and Dad can enjoy classic American pub fare while catching the big game on the big screens, and the kiddos will love the fun, sports-themed dining areas complete with some of the best chicken tenders in the city.
- Another family favorite, Copper Top Tavern in Camillus has a loaded menu of American & global fare, plus weekday happy hours.
Best late night lounges
- If you're in the Camillus area, Azteca is a must-try. Open late, this upbeat eatery features Mexican favorites like enchiladas, burritos, street tacos and more, complete with mouth-watering margaritas and weekly specials to boot.
- The Green Gate Inn in Camillus is a great place to enjoy a bite of top notch pub fare and unwind with a glass of wine (or two). Stop in for their weekly specials or take it easy by ending the night with some local, live music.
- The Olde Wicker Mill in Camillus is a fabulous place to shop for unique gifts, name brand items and tons of special items for that special someone. Take some time to peruse the shelves loaded with trendy brands and check out everything from handbags to cards, candles, clothing, jewelry, pottery, accessories and much more.
- Witty Wicks for the fragrance win. This Syracuse candle company located in Camillus' Township 5 shopping and entertainment district offers the ultimate in all-natural homemade soy candles, gifts, baby items, sprays, bath teas and truffles, and more goodies than you can imagine.
Headed toward the Camillus area in the summer months? Grab farm fresh, local produce and unique, handmade baked goods, specialty foods, jewelry, soap, art, wood crafts and more at the Camillus Farmer's Market near the Municipal Building at 4600 W. Genesee Street. Free entertainment, guest chef demonstrations, children's activities, and presentations on nutrition, gardening and fitness, this open-air marketplace is an ideal stop for market lovers.
Best sports shops
- Love to kayak or paddleboard? Head to Camillus Kayak Shop, Central New York's largest kayak and SUP shop, featuring touring and recreational kayaks for enthusiasts of all ages.
- In business for over 30 years, The Sports Outfit is the place to go for all your lacrosse needs. Located west of Syracuse, where lacrosse has a deep-rooted history, this specialized shop also sells vintage gear, equipment, accessories and even offers a variety of stringing styles to suit your needs.
Best way to get outdoors
A vast 35 acres of green space where friends and families come together to enjoy nature and engage in numerous fitness and recreational activities among the forest trails, Camillus Park has state-of-the-art playgrounds and a splash pad, pickle ball courts, an outdoor fitness area and much more.
Best places for family fun
- Whether it's meeting up with friends to get down with your favorite touring musical artists, or bringing the family to a kid-friendly concert, the St. Joseph's Health Amphitheater at Lakeview is where all the big shows are. Fans from all over have enjoyed dancing with the Dave Matthews Band and Doobie Brothers, singing along with Santana and Steely Dan, or kicking back with KISS and the Zac Brown Band. If music is your jam, check out all the upcoming shows here.
- Take the kids on a trip to Shove Park in Camillus and enjoy the fresh air while exploring one of its three playgrounds, baseball fields, batting cages, a rustic gorge hiking trail and hilltop open space field. The park also boasts an ice arena with public skating, a beautiful stream and picnic areas to make a day of this charming green space.
- Check out the Camillus Erie Canal Park and explore over 14 miles of scenic wooded paths and walkways for hiking, biking and walking. Tour the historic Erie Canal by vessel aboard one of the four excursion boats. On-site is a museum which boasts exhibits, early photos, a gift shop, murals, maps and more.
Best places for a pint
- Located in Warners, Local 315 Brewing Company is an awesome craft farm brewery where visitors can grab a pint and unwind outdoors while enjoying the Central New York scenery. Complete with livestock and lots of local products for all to enjoy, bring the dog and enjoy a sunny Syracuse afternoon at this fun, friendly, hoppy spot.
- Let luxury wash over you at Aesthetica Salon Spa in Camillus, NY. This high-end Aveda concept salon spa offers everything from hair coloring and cuts to waxes, skin therapy, stone treatments, bridal services, full body rejuvenations and many more therapies. Pamper yourself at this highly-rated house of self-care and you'll be happy you indulged.
- In the mood for a massage or custom facial and body treatments? Check out Sanctuary Spa in Fairmount for a masterful spa experience in a relaxing and charming atmosphere.